Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I am a legend?

Over a EUR5 pint of beer in a relaxed mood pondering the questions of future, morality, justice, and freedom I was told that I have been a legend. Its interesting to learn that one is, or had been a legend.

I was always wondering how does it feel to be a legend. I always thought that I cannot find this out, since you have to be a legend and you have to know that you are a legend to feel how is it to be one.

Okay, so I am a legend.

So what does it mean that one is a legend? It means that one is perceived as a role-model? As an example that other's look to for inspiration? It means that one is a source of motivation? It means that if those that get inspired achieve things that one had achieved, they acclaim that "Now I am good, since I have achieved what The Legend has!" It means that Legend is used as a sort of standard of excellence against which to measure one's success?

Does it also means that one has to live their life in a certain (exemplary) way?

In this respect I have come to think of talents in the parable mentioned by Evangelist Matthew.
(Matthew 25:14-30)

And the fear that I have is that of ending up as the last servant who dug a hole and hid the talents entrusted to him. I often feel the desire to hide, live a life of a shepherd, and not to be responsible for society. But then I remember this type of parable and the message embedded in it, and I see that I cannot just hide.

So what can one do?

Get up every morning and fight your way through the day. You may be a legend, you just don't know it yet. So don't disappoint those that trust in you, they follow your story.

Do the best to be a worthwhile legend.

No comments: